Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On 2004-03-25, Number Six penned:

> The tune "Man Smart, Women Smarter" seems appropriate to bring up
> here:
> http://dannyman.toldme.com/lyrics/Grateful_Dead/Man_Smart,_Women_Smarter.html
>
> It's a cover tune, a lot of other people sing it.  If you don't
> believe that Women rule the world you are a fool.

Tell that to all the girls whose labia are sewn together so that they
can provide their future husbands more pleasure on their wedding night
... tell it to the girls and women who are raped and beaten on a daily
basis.

I appreciate the sentiment, but to me it just whitewashes the issue.
Women *do* encounter a lot of sexism, not to mention violence.  When
guys say something like, "Well, we all know that women are really
stronger/smarter," it suggests that women's troubles are their own fault
(if they're stronger or smarter, why can't they just get out of these
situations?), and it fosters the notion that there's no need to try to
help them or root around in one's own soul for evidence of bias.  I know
that I myself have stereotypes of both men and women lurking in my head,
so I don't imagine that most men don't, as well =)

Anyway, I have no more interest in women ruling the world than men.  The
lure of power has no gender bias.

Sorry for going way off-topic here.  It's (obviously) a pet peeve of
mine.

--
monique