Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On 2004-03-25, s. keeling penned:
> Incoming from Monique Y. Herman:
>>
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/
>
> That one elicited about the loudest flamefest I've ever seen, in
> discuss@tldp.org.  If you can find that thread in their archives, and
> stand to wade through it all, you might find your answers there.

I've been slowly wading through it.  I honestly didn't find anything
offensive in the document.  I guess I should re-read it after I finish
reading the flameage.

> I think (eg.) "Networking For Women" workshops are demeaning and
> insulting to women.  "What, you don't think I could handle a real
> networking course?!?  Pig!"  The women I hang with agree.  When I say
> something about it on-line, I'm roundly condemned for it from all
> sides.

I agree with you, and furthermore, I find all-female classes on skiing,
mountain biking, you name it to be annoying, as well.  But the
commercial success of these programs suggests that some women believe
that they're better off in an all-women environment.  Me, I find such a
heterogeneous mix to be boring.  (Actually, there's a point to be made
there somewhere: what if they don't teach the class any differently, but
the class is restricted to women?  Some women would definitely prefer
such an environment.)

> Sometimes, I think the race just doesn't want to grow out of its often
> stupid ways.

Agreed.  But then again, when we got down to brass tacks, I think you'd
find that we'd disagree on what we identify as "stupid ways." =)  ... As
would most people.

--
monique