Re: Lost isa card with Kernel 2.6

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:45:31PM -0600, Robert Rati wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 20:37, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > Robert Rati <r.rati@comcast.net> writes:
> > > CONFIG_ISAPNP is enabled in the Debian kernel, so is there a way to tell
> > > if the kernel found any isapnp cards?  I've looked all through /proc,
> > > including /proc/bus/pnp, but I haven't been able to see anything.  The
> > > old /proc/pci doesn't exist and I can't seem to find it's replacement
> >
> > (Sorry, I'm coming into this thread late; I hope this isn't totally
> > irrelevant.)
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what from the old /proc/pci is missing, but in
> > addition to /proc/bus/pci, did you also see /sys/bus/pci?
> >
> > lspci also works fine using /proc/bus/pci.
>
> I missed the addition of the /sys filesystem, and that appears to be
> what pnp.txt in the kernel documentation is talking about.  I see many
> 0x:00 entries in /sys/bus/pnp/devices, but how do you tell what's what?
> I looked at the resource and options file of all the entries, and some
> of them I could tell what they were, but not all of them.  I assume if
> an entry for a device/card isn't there then the kernel didn't find it?
> And if the kernel didn't find it, there's probably no way to "help" the
> kernel find it is there?  I should probably break down and try
> isapnptools shouldn't I?
>
> Here's an output from my system boot:
> ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040116
> ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
> Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
> PnPBIOS: Scanning system for PnP BIOS support...
> PnPBIOS: Found PnP BIOS installation structure at 0xc00fbda0
> PnPBIOS: PnP BIOS version 1.0, entry 0xf0000:0xbdd0, dseg 0xf0000
> pnp: 00:0b: ioport range 0x208-0x20f has been reserved
> PnPBIOS: 16 nodes reported by PnP BIOS; 16 recorded by driver
> ACPI: ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries
> PCI: Invalid ACPI-PCI IRQ routing table
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
> PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX/ICH [8086/7110] at 0000:00:07.0
>
> Does the "pnp: 00:0b" signify that the kernel found a pnp device?

Yes, but it may be a PCI plug & play device. pnpdump tells me that the
ioport ranges being used by my ISA plug & play card are not the same
as any of the "pnp: xx:xx: ioport range aaaa-bbbb has been reserved"
lines in dmesg. (OTOH these don't match with any of the PCI info
reported by lspci either... not sure what's going on here!)
I get a separate set of lines from dmesg concerning
"isapnp". First there's the equivalent of the bit you posted:

pnp: the driver 'system' has been registered
PnPBIOS: Scanning system for PnP BIOS support...
PnPBIOS: Found PnP BIOS installation structure at 0xc00f6ae0
PnPBIOS: PnP BIOS version 1.0, entry 0xf0000:0x9fea, dseg 0x400
pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:00' and the driver 'system'
pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:01' and the driver 'system'
pnp: 00:01: ioport range 0x370-0x371 has been reserved
pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:02' and the driver 'system'
pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:0b' and the driver 'system'
pnp: 00:0b: ioport range 0x4d0-0x4d1 has been reserved
pnp: 00:0b: ioport range 0x8000-0x803f has been reserved
pnp: 00:0b: ioport range 0x7000-0x700f has been reserved
pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:0c' and the driver 'system'
PnPBIOS: 18 nodes reported by PnP BIOS; 18 recorded by driver

then, later on, there is:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Card 'CS4236B'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

and then when the driver for that card is loaded I get:

pnp: the driver 'cs423x' has been registered
pnp: match found with the PnP device '01:01.00' and the driver 'cs423x'
pnp: match found with the PnP device '01:01.02' and the driver 'cs423x'
pnp: match found with the PnP device '01:01.03' and the driver 'cs423x'
pnp: Device 01:01.00 activated.
pnp: Device 01:01.02 activated.
pnp: Device 01:01.03 activated.

> if so, do I just need to configure this device in /sys?

I don't have a /sys! I do, however, have a /proc/bus/isapnp directory,
with a subdirectory '01' which pertains to my only isapnp card,
containing pseudo-files with two-digit names corresponding to the
various parts (sound, midi etc) of the CS4236B sound card.

The bus / plug and play entries of my kernel config are:

CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_ISAPNP=y
CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set

It looks to me as if the isapnp detection protocol isn't running for
some reason, which is very odd; it works fine on mine, and we appear
to have the same motherboard chipset, judging from your line

> PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX/ICH [8086/7110] at 0000:00:07.0

I don't, however, have ACPI support (CONFIG_ACPI is not set). Perhaps
there is some incompatibility here. Maybe if you set "acpi=off" as a
boot option it might make a difference? This is more or less a guess
though.

Or you could try isapnptools! pnpdump gives you a readout of how the
card is currently configured, which you can then edit to produce an
/etc/isapnp.conf and/or use to derive module parameters (I've just
installed it to see what it gives for my card, but I'm not using it to
set the card up since the kernel copes OK on my box).

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons