Re: [OT] Bruce Perens talks to BBC

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:09:57PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
> >I am not going to defend .gov's oil policy.  My point is there has to be
> >an oil policy.  You can't disengage and think things will just turn out
> >alright.
>
>     Why does there have to be one that includes invasion?

I don't know.

> >They are in front of the line.  My vote is all of the above.
>
>     Even if, by and large, they are ignorant?  Sure hope you didnt buy Nike
>     a few years back.

See how hard it is to disengage?  Things are just too connected.  So if
you stopped buying Nike to protest crappy working conditions of their
suppliers then you help promote their unemployment.  Damned if you do
and damned if you don't.  You can't say "I quit".

So if the world hates the US, then we ask why, and we listen, and we
think, and then we act.  Disengagement is impossible so don't use it as
a rebuttal to some poll indicated the popularity of US government.

> >There's blood on all their hands. Some more than others. A lot of people
> >each with a speck of blood on their hands or a few with it dripping from
> >their's, regardless, the crime is done.
>
>     But the question is, what is the appropriate response by the government?

What is the appropriate response of the people in the US who _can_ control their
government?

> >Who's Bob?  I'm Mike.
>
>     Bob Barker.

Oh. Him. Game show host. I didn't ask the price of anything. :-)

> >My concept of "local" and "nation" are changing.  I'm pretty sure we're
> >not going to see eye-to-eye on this one.
>
>     So you believe that any time any nation has a problem with out we
> (meaning your nation) does something it is perfectly OK for them to invade?

Quite to the contrary.  Phones and Intenet make the entire US seem like
one big city.  I've talked to folks all over the world for business since the
mid-90's.

It's never perfectly OK to invade. It's the worst course of possible. It's
against everything Sun-Tzu
teaches.  I would like to have US leaders review the master's work and
be required to take a quiz on it.

--
Mike