Re: [OT] Bruce Perens talks to BBC

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:37:00PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
> >There's no way to separate the
> >private concerns from the public ones.  How is the business of oil to be
> >separated from the world's current woes?
>
>     How does government meddling in it improve anything?

I am not going to defend .gov's oil policy.  My point is there has to be
an oil policy.  You can't disengage and think things will just turn out
alright.

> >Who is responsible for the atrocities that
> >followed, consisting of human enslavement, destruction of families, and
> >massive bloodshed in the American Civil War?  The engineers and
> >businessmen in Britain? The Southern United States plantation owners?
> >The consumers that loaded up on cheap and plentiful textile products?
>
>     My vote would be on the slavers and those who bought them, Bob.

They are in front of the line.  My vote is all of the above.

There's blood on all their hands. Some more than others. A lot of people
each with a speck of blood on their hands or a few with it dripping from
their's, regardless, the crime is done.

If you buy the product made with slave labor you are helping the
enslavers.

We're all connected and we can't disengage.

Who's Bob?  I'm Mike.

> Deprivation of another individuals rights.  In that case it is a local
> matter. IE the government would police its own population.  What it should
>  not do is go out and police the *OTHER* nation's population.

My concept of "local" and "nation" are changing.  I'm pretty sure we're
not going to see eye-to-eye on this one.

In summary, we cannot take the ball and go home.
--
Mike