Re: I'm face Few problem , need suggestion

Paul Morgan <paulswm@earthlink.net> writes:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:42:21 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> You know, people are always saying this (about the installer being
> difficut), but when I set up my first debian installation (potato), I
> didn't have any difficulty at all.
>
> Of course, setting up some stuff (like X) was harder than it is now, but
> the installer was great.  I think it's just really a question of reading
> the docs first, then thinking and planning.

I agree that the installer isn't that difficult to get through but
once you're done you're faced with a text mode login. When you're new
and don't know any command this isn't very useful. I mean there's a
huge step between that and having a working X setup, etc. On the other
hand distributions like Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, etc. once you finish
the install you boot up into gnome or kde.

I compare the current installatin process with the process of
installing knoppix to the harddisk.

Knoppix:
1) Put knoppix cd in.
2) Boot.
3) Run knx-hdinstall.
4) Partition disks.
5) Wait 20 minutes.
6) Reboot into kde or whatever X setup you like.

Plain Debian:
1) Put cd in.
2) Boot.
3) Partition disks.
4) Get module selection dialog.
5) Get network setup dialog.
6) Get asked where you want to install from.
7) Reboot.
8) Get asked a bunch of other questions.
9) Get dumped into tasksel or dselect.
10) Get dumped into scary text mode login.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com