Re: I'm face Few problem , need suggestion

Satyajit Das wrote:
Dear list,

Just today I entire this world and also in Linux world.

By "this world" I would assume the newsgroup world and *this* world in general :))

welcome to Linux world!

I'm single user.
I collect Debian 3.0 beta , total 8 CD's .
After struggle 4 days("dselect" very difficult for newbies) I installed Debian.

Oh boy. I can understand that. I went through the same thing myself a few weeks ago. But then I was not new to the world of Linux so it didn't take me 4 days :) But I agree, the installation routine of Debian is hideous. Delusions of grandeur must be over and the routine *must* be vastly improved and made easier if Debian want to live up to people's expectations.

Now wants to know or need suggestion from all users.
Please -- please help.
( NB: I also visit debian mailing list archive, thousand - thousand
  mail, It's difficults from me to find out my problem)

er ... maybe try google? With search only limited to debian.org.

1) I want to upgrade complete Debain system, such as :
	I have mutt-1.3 /need 1.4 or1.5 , kde-2.2/ need 3.x / and kernel-2.2.20-idepci/ need 2.4.x
   Please give me the details webaddress or ftp site. I'm using  broadband.

I think what you need is:
$> apt-get upgrade
once you have finished the first installation. This will upgrade your newly installed system. Or you could change your /etc/apt/sources.list file and replace "stable" with "testing" and do:
$> apt-get dist-upgrade
and your distribution will be upgraded.

BUT, before you do any of the above, perhaps it would be nicer to user -s and -u options to see what exactly will be upgraded. So, the first command above will become:
$> apt-get -s -u upgrade

It will list what packages will be upgraded. BTW, when you do upgrade KDE, you may run into problem as it requires some non-existence package named something like libsensors. If this happens, come back here and I will tell you how I solved the problem.

And of course, I am a newbie, others maybe able to give you more accurate and complete information.

HTH,
->HS