Re[2]: No to wine!

Hello Roberto,

Sunday, November 9, 2003, 2:08:44 PM, you wrote:

>> 4. Wine. The crutch this is absolutely right, but right now that's the
>> only way to play Windows-only games on Linux. And the better it is, the
>> better we are for it.
>>
RS> I can agree with this.

That's not right logic. Non of big amount of emulators can implement
overall WinAPI and DirectX. And will not in future I think. Using that
way emulators will always be a step or to behind - as a result modern
new-made games still will not run under it. Short example: I can run
say Heroes I under wine but... what about Heroes IV? - Shurely not.

>> By the way: want to support Linux gaming? Pre-order Doom 3 for linux!
>>

RS> I don't want Doom.  I want a good castle-building strategy game.  Or
RS> maybe something like Pharaoh.  Enougn FPS's already.

    Games now become more complicated even then operating system. And
    thus they can be developed ONLY by expierenced companies for
    years. You can say "look, Debian is developed by many people
    around the world"  but any Linux distribution is a set of small
    software components, ofcourse you can develop small part of it. But game
    project must be fully integrated, optimized and also don't forget
    about architectors' work. It can't be splitted in small parts. Just look at open-source "FlightGear"
    and commercial "IL-2: Forgotten Battles" or "Fly! 2". Fill the
    difference...

    And my opinion is that Linux misses standartized toolkit for any side
    of developing in order for me to simply get binary of game from CD
    and run it. NO! I HAVEN'T much time to observe huge readme to find
    out missed library (or compilation option or whatever)and then search for it if it's already packed
    for my distribution and has required version and/or after
    installation dependencies will not become broken or anything else
    that can make me mad.
--
Best regards,
 Alexander                            mailto:shurali@mail.ru