No to wine! (was:"Red Hat recommends...")

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 00:52, David Millet wrote:

> Or not until wine begins running these and every windoze app that
> everyone uses flawlessly, which hopefully happens soon.

Nooooo!
please.

Anyone remembers OS/2? I think that one important reason why it failed
(among admittedly many others) is that many developers didn't see any
need to write software for it. I've heard/read many times that an OS/2
version wasn't necessary as people can run the windows software almost
just as well.
In the end, I hardly ever booted into OS/2, because there I'd not only
have to deal with the issues of Win31 software, but with the problems of
running them under an alien system as well.

In the same way, I wouldn't use Linux if I had to run 90% of the
applications through wine. Not even if it were 'only' 20%... but as
things are, Linux natively offers almost all I need, and that's why I
consider it to be a good alternative.

Wine is a necessary crutch, suitable to run the one or two apps that are
not (yet?) available for Linux. But in my eyes it will be no solution to
improve the crutch. On the contrary, having a really good wine might
even be dangerous.
At any rate, I think it's a strange philosphy to hope that a workaround
should become the actual solution.

cu,
Schnobs