Re: No to wine! (was:"Red Hat recommends...")

techlists wrote:
I really love the analogy of comparing wine to a crutch.  Because that
is exactly what it is.  An as a crutch, we should not be trying to make
the crutch better, rather work on healing the leg so that the crutch is
not needed.  In this case instead of making windows apps work under
linux, we make linux apps that are better.  And to those companies who
will not port their products to linux, especially the games makers, we
tell them you can shove your windows krap, we will use a native product,
and even if the native one is not as good, I will still use it over you
product, so you either develop for us or go bankrupt.  If we continue on
this "make linux able to run windows app" we give no insentive to
companies to develop for linux.

That as was said before OS/2 fell for the same reason.  No one developed
for os/2, so win windows changed it's code and win-os/2 couldn't run the
new apps......well we know what happened.  os/2 was too far behind with
it's native apps to catch up.

So use wine as a crutch if you wish, but never want it to be a full
product, or we will lose in the marketplace.

Let's take the special case of games again. In this case, it's not a matter of making a better product for linux. If Blizzard came out with Diablo III for linux tomorrow, that wouldn't allow me to play Diablo I. You're right about apps, though. If Microsoft Office won't work on linux, use OpenOffice. But games are not applications. They're entertainment. And a later version of a piece of entertainment does not supercede a previous piece. It's simply another piece.

So how do we solve the problem of games under linux? There's a few possibilities:

1. They're permanently tied to Windows, and that's the way it will be. This forces gamers to have a second partition or computer running Windows for their games. Not the situation we want to be in.

2. Current games should be ported to Linux. This is possible, but not very easy at all. There's no source, so it takes an insider to do it, or some contractor. And the companies need to have an incentive to embark on this kind of project. Which means when these ports do happen, we need to spend our hard-earned cash on them.

3. Companies should start making their games Linux-compatible. Like above, there needs to be an incentive. And right now, I could buy Quake III for Linux for a whopping $45 or so from TuxGames. Or I could buy it for Windows for $5 on eBay. This type of pricing scheme will go nowhere.

4. Wine. The crutch this is absolutely right, but right now that's the only way to play Windows-only games on Linux. And the better it is, the better we are for it.

By the way: want to support Linux gaming? Pre-order Doom 3 for linux!

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]

Phone     [+1 662-518-1636]