Re: Simple little basic config questions

> Why not just use 'su' (with no parameters) or 'su - -p'?
>
>         -m, -p, --preserve-environment
>               do not reset environment variables, and keep the same shell
>
> That will preserve things like X display dettings.  Just an idea.

Perhaps it is a philosophical issue, but my instinct tells me that my
root account should be self-contained. I should be able to log in as
root and startx. To have to log in as a user, and then su to root,
assumes there's a user account, and assumes that it is working. Both
of these conditions do not always exist. Further, when I am logged in
as user, when I su to root, I want to acquire root's environment.

Haines