Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 at 18:34 GMT, Haines Brown penned:
> I have more elementary configuration questions arising from my
> transition from RedHat to debian. Sorry to be a pest.
>
> I think this may be is a debian question because user can start the
> FileRunner file manager, but not root. When root tries, it gets the
> error:
>
>   Application can't initialize because it lacks display name and no
>   $DISPLAY environment variable.
>
>   Error stgartup script: can't read "tk_patchLevel": No such variable
>   while executing.
>
> How do I interpret these? In fact, if I try # echo $DISPLAY, nothing
> is returned, which means the root account is not configured properly,
> I'd guess. It would make sense to define the value of DISPLAY
> globally, I should think. If so, how does one do that?
>
> The second part of the error statement would seem to be a script
> error, where the value of tk_patchLevel is never defined, but since
> user can run the application OK, I assume the problem is deeper than
> that. Could it be the missing DISPLAY?
>
> Haines Brown

You're probably using 'su -' to get to root, right?

Two quick fixes: one, just use 'su' so that it keeps the original user's
environment.  Two, explicitly set your display to whatever it's normally
set to for your users in root's .bashrc or .profile.

Not having the display set can cause an amazing variety of errors,
depending on the application.  Don't worry about debugging the
tk_patchLevel thing until you know that your display is set properly.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.