Re: Simple little basic config questions

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Monique, it displays as it should: :0.0. My problem only with root.

Haines

Please don't CC me.  (If somehow my sig isn't clear enough, please let
me know how I can make it so.)

Anyway, the point of my question and your answer:  since your normal
user successfully uses the setting of DISPLAY=:0.0 , I suggest trying

Oh wait a minute.  I just looked at my .bashrc, etc and think I've
noticed the problem.

Try simply doing this:

DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY

(note that I don't use "set" at all)

Since :0.0 works, I don't see any real reason to use teufel explicitly,
but if your hostname is properly set up, it shouldn't be a problem.

Why not just use 'su' (with no parameters) or 'su - -p'?

       -m, -p, --preserve-environment
             do not reset environment variables, and keep the same shell

That will preserve things like X display dettings.  Just an idea.

-Roberto