Re: Initializing X clients

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:31:40AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
| Get rid of everything: what a good idea!
|
| I got rid of everything, and in the .xsession put exec icewm. That
| didn't work.

Check ~/.xsession-errors for error messages.

BTW, the
    exec icewm || exec xterm
didn't work because once the 'exec' is executed, the shell process no
longer exists.  If you wrote
    icewm || xterm
it would have worked, and even
    icewm || exec xterm
would probably work.

The reason is the shell process needs to continue to exist so it can
receive the exit code from icewm and then continue processing the
script.  If you 'exec icewm' the shell process is gone and when icewm
terminates, the xsession process terminates (same process now) and X
shuts down.

| So I replaced the command with exec xterm. That did work--sort of.

| When I start x with the xterm execution, what I get is a black
| rectangle in upper left 2/3 of screen with a bash prompt. That sounds
| good,

That is good.  (well, if you have a low-resolution display :-);  for a
higher resolution display the xterm will consume less of the screen
space)

| but everything else is bad:
|
| 1. The rest of the screen is trash background (a rough blend of colors
|    rather than (default?) blue. Shouldn't the terminal have been left
|    the remaining background intact?

xterm didn't touch the rest of the background.  That "fuzzy" gray
background is the normal X background when nothing changes it.  Since
it is a pattern, you know that X is actually displaying correctly.  A
solid color won't be able to indicate resolution or aspect ratio
problems or the like.  This is normal for this situation.

| 2. The terminal has none of the features I'd normally expect a
|    terminal window to have, such as a window frame. That may be
|    because I've no window manager running yet.

Precisely.  No window manager means the windows aren't managed.  The
WM's job is to provide the decorations (frame, etc.) around the window
and handle moving, minimizing, resizing, etc. of windows.  This is
also normal.

| 3. The insertion point of the prompt is not a solid rectangle, but an
|    empty rectangle. Any keyboard input cause the prompt to disappear,
|    although the black rectangle remains.

I'm not sure what you have here.  Does moving the mouse over the
window have any effect?  Typical focus behavior for X is for a window
to have keyboard focus only when the mouse is over it.

HTH,
-D

--
The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/