Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 19:25, Tim Connors wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said on Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:56:13 -0500:
> > On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 19:54, Chris Roddy wrote:
> > > really, the syntax of most programming languages is not very much like
> > > english -- english would have us putting the block before the for() or
> > > if() :-) ...
> >
> > What????  (At least for control structures and procedural languages.)
> >
> > IF (I LIKE BEER) AND (THERE IS BEER IN THE FRIDGE) THEN
> >    GO GET A "BUD"
> > END IF
>
> No, I think he meant Perl's unless statement:
>
> (drink more bear[1]) unless (no more beer)
>
> Perl must be pretty much the *most* english language out there.
>
> Prove me wrong, come on, I dare you. :)

COBOL....  (in this case, COBOL-85)

PERFORM 100-TURN-ON-TV THROUGH 100-EXIT.
MOVE 0 TO NUMBER-OF-BEERS-DRUNK.
PERFORM UNTIL NUMBER-OF-BEERS-DRUNK EQUALS 24
    PERFORM 200-DRINK-BEER THROUGH 200-EXIT.
    ADD 1 TO NUMBER-OF-BEERS-DRUNK.
END-PERFORM.

You kids need a better knowledge of history.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

When Swedes start committing terrorism, I'll become suspicious of
Scandanavians.