Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 00:03, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:12:15 -0500,
> John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 873cdq42m8.fsf@toncho.dhh.gt.org>:
>
> > Pigeon writes:
> > > I was under the impression that "Serbian" was written with Roman
> > > characters, and "Croatian" with Cyrillic, but they were actually the
>
> ..the other way around.
>
> > > same language, hence "Serbo-Croatian". How close to the truth is
> > > this?
> >
> > "A language is a dialect with its own army and navy."
>
> ..historically, the white man used his military and political power
> and, this language as part of "nation building".  ;-)

As have every other conquering nation or tribe.

Why do people think that Europeans are any different than any other
"race"?  Before the Renaissance, Europeans were just like the vast
majority of the world's poor are now: scraping out a meager existence,
oppressed by landlords, superstitious, uneducated, and occasionally
conquered, and thus landlord X substituted for landlord Y.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

484,246 sq mi (1,254,197 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people
to live, 4 persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150' (a nice
suburban US plot).
That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.
Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.