Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said on Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:56:13 -0500:
> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 19:54, Chris Roddy wrote:
> > really, the syntax of most programming languages is not very much like
> > english -- english would have us putting the block before the for() or
> > if() :-) ...
>
> What????  (At least for control structures and procedural languages.)
>
> IF (I LIKE BEER) AND (THERE IS BEER IN THE FRIDGE) THEN
>    GO GET A "BUD"
> END IF

No, I think he meant Perl's unless statement:

(drink more bear[1]) unless (no more beer)

Perl must be pretty much the *most* english language out there.

Prove me wrong, come on, I dare you. :)

[1]Hmmm, that's got to be hard.

"Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will
piss on your computer."                             - Jeff Wilder