Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 at 11:15 GMT, Tom penned:
> [OT, sorry -- but question is obscure, will be hard to google]
>
> Are any non-english-speaking readers aware of High-level programming
> languages using non-English syntax?  Like, could I find a French C
> compiler that uses "pour" instead of "for" and "si" instead of "if"?
>
> Actually, I'd be highly curious if any Chinese researchers have
> attempted to do high-level coding using ideographs.  My chinese
> friends have told me chinese language is like fuzzy logic: it would be
> an interesting exercise!

I imagine you could use #define in C/C++, or better yet run m4 on the
code, to use whatever words you wanted.  Of course, that's not really
what you're asking.

You're right; the anglo-centric nature of most programming languages is
distressing.  It would be fun to code in a language based on a totally
unfamiliar natural language -- kind of like learning spanish by watching
the spanish-language tv stations =P

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please