Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 12:29, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 at 11:15 GMT, Tom penned:
> > [OT, sorry -- but question is obscure, will be hard to google]
> >
> > Are any non-english-speaking readers aware of High-level programming
> > languages using non-English syntax?  Like, could I find a French C
> > compiler that uses "pour" instead of "for" and "si" instead of "if"?
[snip]
> You're right; the anglo-centric nature of most programming languages is
> distressing.  It would be fun to code in a language based on a totally

Distressing????????  What an over-reaction.

Guess what?  When French/German/Chinese/Spanish/Portuguese/Japanese
Computer Scientists decide to write a programming language in their
own native language, there will be programming languages in those
languages.  But then, why did Niklaus Wirth use English key words,
even though he is Swiss/German?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
Brian W. Kernighan