Re: Help, OSX vs Linux

On (03/10/03 12:02), Mike Egglestone wrote:
> Quoting Mark Ferlatte <ferlatte@cryptio.net>:
>
> > I haven't seen any uptime or speed benchmarks, so I can't comment on either
> > Debian vs. OS X with respect to uptime or speed.  I would guess that you
> > would
> > require a bit less downtime with Debian, since you would be able to just
> > apt-get update && upgrade without rebooting most of the time, where OS X
> > does
> > require reboots after Software Update.  However, those are pretty minimal.
> >
> > If you have performance benchmarks, please share them.
>
> When I refer to Debian being faster I should have been more specific.
> I'm meant to say that clients interacting with the server is waaaay faster with
> a debian server. Even an old PIII with 128 meg Ram on a 10 base network.
> vs a new G4 with half a Gig of Ram.
> When you have 30 clients login to the server at the same time, OSX server
> copies the prefs over or something. In may take 2 minutes for a machine to
> login.
> As with netatalk, you can avoid appletalk protocol and just mount a share to
> the desktop. You can't get the fancy features from Mac Manager but users get
> home directories and other share points. (hand in folder etc.)
> Are the features of Mac Manager worth the purchase of OSX Server?
> I don't think so. I'm the one that has to support the box in the end, and why
> should I pull my hair out administering OSX server when I know a Linux box can
> do basically the same thing.
> I believe the staff want the OSX box because its the latest greatest thing from
> Apple.
I can't comment to fully on the technical aspects (not qualified).
However, I run Debian on two ageing LH Pro Servers, a Mac 8100/80, I use
it as a file server on all three and it's rock solid.  As a work station
I use a G4 and managed to break OSX on it (inadvertantly).  I now use
woody on it with KDE3 almost exclusively.

You really need to address this question to debian-powerpc - there are
some very knowledeable people on the list who could give you plenty
of ammunition.  Mac hardware has many positive qualities and if your
people want a shiney Xserve they can have it and you can have debian on
it ;)

There was recently a 10.2 upgrade that Apple had to pull because it was
causing machines to crash......

Good luck

Clive
--