Re: Help, OSX vs Linux

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> Date: Fri,  3 Oct 2003 10:20:25 -0700
> From: Mike Egglestone <mike@heri.sd57.bc.ca>
> To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Help, OSX vs Linux
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a system's admin looking after several different sites at
> which most of them have woody servers. But some of the staff are
> pushing for OSX servers. The workstations range from PC's to Imacs.
> running all different OS's.
> I'm finding it difficult to convince them that OSX is not the way to go.
> We all know the reasons why Debian is so Great, but they can't see it.
> The biggest push is that the OSX server can have workgroups for accounts and
> thus lock workstations so that only certain workgroups have access to certain
> applications on OS 9.x machines.

Are you saying that the OSX server access control works with OS9 clients
to limit access for those users? If so, then I suppose the size of the Mac
user base, and the criticalness of the apps they need to access would be
factors. If the access control applies to all the users, then the scope of
the issue changes. A precise appraisal of the benefit would be very
useful.

> I use netatalk currently, and use local multiple users  on OS 9 to lock
> down
> the machine but its not quite as tight as how OSX server can do it with Mac
> Mananger.

Again, what's the specific benefit of the increased controls? The more
closely that can be defined, and alternatives evaluated, the better case
can be made. This may also show that the OSX solution is what's needed.

> I love the fact the Debian has apt-get and I can quickly install the daemons
> such as squid, exim, apache, samba, netatalk, dhcp,ipmasq and so many other
> great things. Supposedly, OSX can run and do all this too, correct?
> The only reasons I can think of that makes Debian better is that is Free, its
> more stable, and its way faster.
> Are there any other benefits of debian that out way it from OSX?

Don't blame you for wanting to maitain a homegeneous environment. With the
introduction of a new OS, training and adminsitrative costs have to
increase. Try to quantify it. Also, the proprietary nature of Mac hardware
has to be factored in. And you are tied to the fortunes of one company.