Helping the newbie

I am in the process of learning the the subtle differences in debian
compared to my main linux distro, which is Slackware.  So I believe that I
am going to move to debian because of apt and all that it implies :)  But I
do have a question.  Am I missing something in apt-get when updating the
packages.  I noticed that perl 5.6 is kind of old as well as the apache
1.3.26.  Are the debian packages not kept up-to-date?  If not maybe I should
move to something else?  Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I am
willing to change this ignorance curve :)

Sincerely,

Jeremy