Re: Helping the newbie

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 05:51:04PM -0400, Jeremy Davis wrote:
> I am in the process of learning the the subtle differences in debian
> compared to my main linux distro, which is Slackware.  So I believe that I
> am going to move to debian because of apt and all that it implies :)  But I
> do have a question.  Am I missing something in apt-get when updating the
> packages.  I noticed that perl 5.6 is kind of old as well as the apache
> 1.3.26.  Are the debian packages not kept up-to-date?  If not maybe I should
> move to something else?  Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I am
> willing to change this ignorance curve :)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jeremy

The stable distribution is not as up to date as pretty much anything.
That's because of the stringent criteria for a package to be allowed in,
and hence for the distribution to be upgraded.  You don't have to run
stable - you can upgrade to testing or unstable if you want.  Or you can
run stable with third-party "backports" - later versions of software
built against stable libraries.

Have a look at http://www.debian.org/releases/.  Not a flame, but this
page is accessible in one click from the main website.

I can testify that once you move to Debian, you will not move away.