Re: moving mail to imap

Andy Saxena wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:13:21PM +0200, Juri Haberland wrote:
>>
>> It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
>> is quite hard to istall and to configure.
>
> I have cyrus server running for personal use, and I am by no means an
> admin.  One of the bigger differences between running Cyrus and other
> servers is that Cyrus authentication doesn't require a user to have a
> shell account on the server.

You can have that with Courier, too. Courier can authenticate against a
DB (e.g. MySQL) or against LDAP or it can use its own database files.

>> Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
>> an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.
>
> This is true, but not necessarily evil. I moved my email folders from
> one machine to another, and the instructions were simple.

But having every mail as a single file makes backup and user support
easy. And don't forget the possebility to just run grep over your Maildir
to search for something specific.

Cheers,
Juri