Re: moving mail to imap

Craig Tinson wrote:
> ok.. will look into the version that is running (I didn't realise didn't
> imap servers varied so radically) .. and upgrade to courier if I need to...
>
> which comes to another question... is courier (then) the current
> standard (ie *best*) ?

It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
is quite hard to istall and to configure.
In most cases Courier is enough and scales well (I know someone running
~8000 Users with Courier).
Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.
UW-IMAP (the one you're currently using) stores it's mail in a plain mbox
file. It is slow, doesn't scale and eats lot of memory if you have
mailboxes > 50 MB (actually it seems to load it completely into memory).
So having 10 users each with a mailbox size of 100MB (quite common) means
you need 1000MB RAM - or a lot of SWAP space...

Cheers,
Juri