Re: moving mail to imap

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:13:21PM +0200, Juri Haberland wrote:

> It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
> is quite hard to istall and to configure.

I have cyrus server running for personal use, and I am by no means an
admin.  One of the bigger differences between running Cyrus and other
servers is that Cyrus authentication doesn't require a user to have a
shell account on the server.

My biggest hurdle was understanding how to configure the authentication
to the server.  Other than that, installation was a breeze. I use
squirrelmail for webmail, and a plugin is available that lets users
change their passwords, which is really handy.

> In most cases Courier is enough and scales well (I know someone running
> ~8000 Users with Courier).

I have heard a lot of good things about Courier.

> Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
> an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.

This is true, but not necessarily evil. I moved my email folders from
one machine to another, and the instructions were simple.

Then again, there is only one user on my setup.

-Andy