Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 08:13, Kent West wrote:
> ThinKer wrote:
>

> >> What do I do with the rest of the space on the 1.2 GB drive? Someone
> >> suggested that I use the entire drive as swap space as doing that would
> >> speed up the system tremendously. Does this make sense? If not the
> >> enitre drive, how much would be the max?
> >>
> Sorry; neglected to answer your other questions. Having the swap
> partition on a separate drive will help speed up the system; I don't
> know that "tremendously" really applies, though.
>
> Nor do I see any reason to make the whole drive as swap. Generally most
> folks go for a swap partition that's the same size as their physical
> RAM, or twice, or thrice. In my earlier suggestions, I went for twice as
> large (64 MB RAM --> 128MB swap). But really, if you need that much
> swap, you need more RAM. That's where you'll see the tremendous speed
> increase (as more programs are running at the same time, that is).
>
> --
> Kent West (westk@acu.edu)

I don't remember the exact figures, but you don't want your swap too big
as it takes some memory to keep track of whats going on in the swap, and
this data stays in phisical ram.
Don't remember how much a 1.2 G swap would take though (probably not too
much).
I am seriously taxing my computer, and rarely use more then 300 or 400
Megs all together of memory (reached 700-800 but took very hard work).
Although for other then programs that aren't used much and swap off from
time to time, if you work of the swap alot the computer usually has a
tendency to grind to a halt, in which case you will want to install more
ram.
Also make sure you don't make the var partition too small since thats
where the packages are downloaded to, and if you have a tendency to do
big updates you will need around 250M-300M. Thats mostly if you are
using unstable and upgrading the system every couple of weeks.
Otherwise, if you don't care to keep old packages around you could
settle for 150M for var don't go for less.
Make sure to have enough in tmp too if you use music/video rip/encoding
or graphic programs as they tend to use large temp files.