Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

ThinKer wrote:

Thanks for the information, but I do have a question about your
suggested partitioning.

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 23:48, Kent West wrote:

Everybody has their own ideas of how best to partition. I would probably do the following:

/  200 MB /dev/hda1 primary
/usr 2500MB /dev/hda2 logical (or primary)
/var 500MB /dev/hda3 logical (or primary)
/tmp 100MB /dev/hda4logical (or primary)

swap /dev/hdc1 128MB primary

/home /dev/hdd1 4.1GB primary

What do I do with the rest of the space on the 1.2 GB drive? Someone
suggested that I use the entire drive as swap space as doing that would
speed up the system tremendously. Does this make sense? If not the
enitre drive, how much would be the max?

Anything you want. You could dedicate it to .Ogg files, or use it for your /home partition and free up the 4.1 for something else, or use it for code development, or movie clips, or just leave it unpartitioned and wasted. I would probably partition it and mount it under a directory like /freepart01 or /spare, and then use it as necessary, say to backup your /home partition (assuming it'd fit), or for /usr/local, or for a place to store non-Debian installer files, such as Blackdown java or Flash, or as a second Debian installation chroot'ed for testing purposes, or for an ftp uploading area, or web files, or or or.

Now that I mention the idea of backup, I kind of like that idea. If you don't have another method of backing up, you could tar up your home directory and put it on this empty space; it's not as safe as having an off-site backup (or at least an off-the-same-computer backup), but it's better than no backup.

(PS. A lot of folks on this list get peeved when you respond to both the list and the poster, so that they get two replies. You might want to reply to list only and not CC the poster, else you might find flames coming your way. This is particularly true of those folks who have something in their sig to the effect of "Please don't CC me".)

--
Kent