Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

ThinKer wrote:

What do I do with the rest of the space on the 1.2 GB drive? Someone
suggested that I use the entire drive as swap space as doing that would
speed up the system tremendously. Does this make sense? If not the
enitre drive, how much would be the max?

Sorry; neglected to answer your other questions. Having the swap partition on a separate drive will help speed up the system; I don't know that "tremendously" really applies, though.

Nor do I see any reason to make the whole drive as swap. Generally most folks go for a swap partition that's the same size as their physical RAM, or twice, or thrice. In my earlier suggestions, I went for twice as large (64 MB RAM --> 128MB swap). But really, if you need that much swap, you need more RAM. That's where you'll see the tremendous speed increase (as more programs are running at the same time, that is).

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)