Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 15:12, Kent West wrote:
> ThinKer wrote:
>
> >Thanks to input from Kent and Bret, I have decided to do the following
> >
> >/    200 MB /dev/hda1 primary
> >/usr 2500MB /dev/hda2 primary
> >/var 500MB /dev/hda3 primary
> >/tmp 100MB /dev/hda4 primary
> >
> >swap /dev/hdc1 1.2GB primary
> >
> >/home /dev/hdd1 4.1GB primary
> >

> >Questions...
> >
> >1. When I delete the drive and choose 'New' to create the partitions,
> >the system asks 'primary or secondary. I am going with primary for
> >everything since I won't have more than 4 partitions in the first drive,
> >and the second and third drives will stand on their own. Is this correct
> >thinking or do I have something confused?
> >

> No, you don't have anything confused. (I originally suggested logical
> partitions, because I'm not used to working with multiple drives, and so
> it was just habit to make multiple logicals on /dev/hda, but if you
> don't go over four partitions, I'd stick with keeping them primary.)
>
> >2. For / after I select primary and say I want it to be 200MB in size,
> >do I add this partition at the begining or at the end of free space ?
> >
> Unless you have a reason not to, put it at the beginning. Some folks
> create swap first, and put it at the end of free space on a blank drive,
> because there's supposedly some advantage to having the swap space at
> the outer edge of the drive. Of course, others will say you get your
> best performance when the swap is on the inner edge. Still others will
> say it should be smack in the middle. It has to do with how much travel
> the drive head has to do to get to the swap space.

Depends a lot on partition setup and type of drive actually.

Newer drives have more sectors per angle on the outer side, since it is
pysically larger, and thus reading the data is faster (head speed is
faster relative to the pisical media on a constant speed motor).
Others say that if you place the swap in the middle between to active
partitions it will be statiscly faster getting there since the head will
be traveling back and forth.
I don't seem to have managed to be very coherent, I hope its
understandable enough if anyone is actually interested ;)