Re: GeForce4 card

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:20:07 +0200, john gennard wrote:

> From Sebastian Kapfe's latest posting it seems that I have
> compiled DEVPTS_FS into my kernels and this is not the
> same as DEVFS. Could this be the answer? I can easily
> recompile.

No, probably not. KDE should run fine without devfs.

> I've had a look at Knoppix, and that has DEVFS. Also, I
> note it avoids my problem by using Xserver-xfree86= 4.3.0-0ds4,
> calls the card 'generic' and uses the 'nv' driver.

The GeForce 4 chips aren't supported by the XF4.2 "nv" drivers AFAIK. Still
not the problem. You're running "vesa", and the login screen works.
Consequently, your graphics driver works. ;)

> ------------
> _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> DCOPServer up and running.
> kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
> KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit: Exit.

"client killed" could be an authentication problem. I don't use KDE, so
this is just guesswork. When the login sceen appears, press Alt-F1, and
login as root. Then, type

	DISPLAY=:0 xhost +

having authentication troubles.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!