Re: GeForce4 card

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:44:25AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:30:22PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
>
> > Booting gets to a screen (after a pause and some horizontal lines.
> > The screen eventually appears normal and the kdm login appears,
> > looking normal. The mouse works, so I can opt for user or root, and
> > the keyboard allows me to enter the passwords. Pressing 'enter',
> > however, doesn't launch kde, it merely loops back to an empty login
> > screen.  If I enter a console and run 'startx', this fails with a
> > error message saying 'server running - remove lock file etc'. But
> > there's no lock file in /tmp to remove.
>
> What does "ls -la /tmp" return?

---------------
total 36
drwxrwxrwt    9 root     root         4096 Jul 19 09:19 .
drwxr-xr-x   23 root     root         4096 Jul 19  2003 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 john     john         4096 Jul 19 09:19 .ICE-unix
-r--r--r--    1 root     root           11 Jul 19 09:19 .X0-lock
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Jul 19 09:19 .X11-unix
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Jul 19 09:09 .font-unix
drwx------    2 john     john         4096 Jul 19 09:19 kde-john
drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Jul 19 09:13 kde-root
drwx------    2 john     john         4096 Jul 19 09:19 ksocket-john
drwx------    2 root     root         4096 Jul 19 09:13 ksocket-root
--------------

But, I assure you '.X0-lock' was not there when I looked on
a previous boot attempt. It now contains only '441'.

> When X loops back the login manager, there is normally an error listed
> in the ~/.xsession-errors for the user that can't log in.  Does this
> file contain anything?

Yes, the following:-

------------
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPServer up and running.
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
------------

Yet another puzzle (at least to me) - on my other box where
Woody works normally, /tmp/.ICE-unix is not set to root, it's
set exactly the same as here - i.e. john (user).

>From Sebastian Kapfe's latest posting it seems that I have
compiled DEVPTS_FS into my kernels and this is not the
same as DEVFS. Could this be the answer? I can easily
recompile.

I've had a look at Knoppix, and that has DEVFS. Also, I
note it avoids my problem by using Xserver-xfree86= 4.3.0-0ds4,
calls the card 'generic' and uses the 'nv' driver.

I'm very grateful for all the interest and help. I would
like to solve this - I may learn something.

Regards,       John.