Re: GeForce4 card

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:30:22PM +0100, john gennard wrote:

> Booting gets to a screen (after a pause and some horizontal lines.
> The screen eventually appears normal and the kdm login appears,
> looking normal. The mouse works, so I can opt for user or root, and
> the keyboard allows me to enter the passwords. Pressing 'enter',
> however, doesn't launch kde, it merely loops back to an empty login
> screen.  If I enter a console and run 'startx', this fails with a
> error message saying 'server running - remove lock file etc'. But
> there's no lock file in /tmp to remove.

What does "ls -la /tmp" return?

When X loops back the login manager, there is normally an error listed
in the ~/.xsession-errors for the user that can't log in.  Does this
file contain anything?

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar