Re: GeForce4 card

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 05:28:30PM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:20:07 +0200, john gennard wrote:

[snip]

> > _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> > DCOPServer up and running.
> > kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
> > kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
> > KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> > kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
> > kdeinit: Exit.
> > ------------
>
> "client killed" could be an authentication problem. I don't use KDE, so
> this is just guesswork. When the login sceen appears, press Alt-F1, and

I need Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a console.

> login as root. Then, type
>
> 	DISPLAY=:0 xhost +

This gives the error messages:-

---------
Xlib: Client is not authorised to connect to server.
xhost: unable to open display ":0"
--------

> having authentication troubles.

Alt-F7 goes back to X but the graphic login problem is the same.
The .xsession-errors log file is still the same as that at the top.

There were no login problems before. All I have done is physically
replace a Graphics card and re-run 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'
selecting the 'vesa' driver. When asked 'use kernel framebuffer
device interface?', I answered 'yes' - I suppose I could re-run
and answer 'no' to see if that has any effect.

And I could replace my Voodoo Banshee card to confirm the graphic
log still works, but the problem will still remain.

Once again, many thanks for the trouble you are taking over this.

Regards,                John.