Re: Libranet to sooth the savage Debian beast???

On Monday 12 May 2003 18:13, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> >> Does it make sense to standardize on the lowest common
> >> denominator?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> Ok, so we found some common ground ;-)
>
> >> i386 makes likely more than 98% of all installed systems, doesn't
> >> it?
> >
> >Very possibly.  On the other hand, since Debian is renowned for its
> >treatment of all supported platforms as first-class, in addition to
> > the "geek" cachet that it seems to enjoy, I'd imagine that you see
> > a lot more odd hardware running Debian than you'd expect.
>
> Well, I would say that makes i386 a second class citizen as it is not
> living up to what is possible and justified by the target audience
> size. i386 might be also used by an end-user who just wants to get
> some desktop linux up and running and might also be targeted at a
> s/390 system, which likely is used by a professional who is willing
> to spend some time and fine tuning on these big machines.
>
> Anyway, the reason I was jumping onto this thread was to understand
> how it could be that libranet and knoppix are based on debian and
> still are so much easier to install and I got the answer: politics.
>
> So it's like in real world commercial projects.
>
> I am still very happy with debian and taking all points into account
> I still love debian for all the other things.

No you see, politics aside, it is a differenc in point of view.

People who made Knoppix and Libranet, were targeting only i386 users.
Not even a single other architecture, OTOH people who make debian, want
to make it possible to run on the maximum of architecture (currently 11
I guess), that can be made. It's a defference in the target users.

Cheers

--
/* The best part about banging your
head against a wall is when you stop.