Re: Libranet to sooth the savage Debian beast???

>> Does it make sense to standardize on the lowest common denominator?

>Yes.
Ok, so we found some common ground ;-)

>> i386 makes likely more than 98% of all installed systems, doesn't it?

>Very possibly.  On the other hand, since Debian is renowned for its
>treatment of all supported platforms as first-class, in addition to the
>"geek" cachet that it seems to enjoy, I'd imagine that you see a lot more
>odd hardware running Debian than you'd expect.

Well, I would say that makes i386 a second class citizen as it is not living
up to what is possible and justified by the target audience size. i386 might
be also used by an end-user who just wants to get some desktop linux up and
running and might also be targeted at a s/390 system, which likely is used by
a professional who is willing to spend some time and fine tuning on these
big machines.

Anyway, the reason I was jumping onto this thread was to understand how it
could be that libranet and knoppix are based on debian and still are so much
easier to install and I got the answer: politics.

So it's like in real world commercial projects.

I am still very happy with debian and taking all points into account I still
love debian for all the other things.

Cheers,
Mariano