Re: promise fasttrak 100 hardware-raid

Me <toens.bueker@e-trend.de> wrote:

> > Can somebody tell my if there's a way
> > to run a promise onboard controller (PDC 20265)
> > in hardware-raid (1) mode on a Fujitsu-Siemens L100.
>
> With Debian? No. We just recently deployed about 30
> boxes of the L100 and used the Linux software-raid for it.

Don't get me wrong - of course Debian (woody) will
recognize the controller and IIRC even the
raid-partitions.

But there are no tools for you (which exist for Linux
software-raid) which help you to monitor the raid-devices,
to add or remove partitions, etc.

In our tests pulling the plug of one of the two disks did
result in a crash of the box (same with Linux
software-raid). There is no automatic re-synchronisation
etc.

Go with Linux software-raid - trust me.

by
Töns