Re: Libranet to sooth the savage Debian beast???

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 10:15, Joey Hess wrote:
> So there seems to be a lot of confusion on this thread about how various
> architectures influence the debian installer. Let me try to clear some
> of the incorrect statements up..

[***SNIP!!!***]

> - "debian is hard to install because of politics"

[***SNIP!!!***]

>   Then there is a small group of people who have day jobs which involve
>   installing or selling debian, or who have installed debian more than
>   ten times in a given day. These people are very interested in making
>   the installation better, so they work on that. Some of them create
>   debian-derived distributions for specific targets, and not all of
>   their work ends up rolled back into debian. Some few are able to use
>   debian directly and make larger contributions to the installer. There
>   are very few of these folk, and they're still being pulled in all
>   different directions, seeing different requirements, being interested
>   in installing debian on different hardware, and so on. This doesn't
>   make for fast progress in any given direction.
>
>   Folk move between these various categories all the time. This doesn't
>   smell of politics to me.

I'd add that many of the names I am seeing connected with the installer,
I see on many, many other aspects of significant and active parts of the
Debian Project - these are people that aren't necessarily acquitted with
person-years of time to dedicate to an additional project.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org