One last try...

Hi All, & thanks for the efforts to get Xfree to work.  The suggestion
to use kernel 2.4 worked.  Life would have been much easier had I even
been aware of the bf24 install option.  (for the developers, etc.)

Once installed and at least functioning so I was in a familiar
interface, I wanted to customize a few things, set up the network, etc.,
but was required to log in as root.  I expected this, but with other
distributions the option was usually offered to do that when I tried to
perform the task.  Not in Debian.  Instead I get the message to log in
as root and do it.  Great!  Log out... then... no option to log in as
root.  Reboot, no option to log in as root.  Go to a terminal, & try,
must do that from somewhere else.

Frankly, I logged out and installed Mandrake.  I like Red Hat and
Mandrake but I'm really trying to get away from Microsoft.  Red Hat may
be fine but it feels like a Microsoft wanna be to me, and Mandrake like
Red Hat light.  I still want to be using Debian for all it's features
and that it isn't a commercial product with a hidden cost around every
corner (memberships, subscriptions, ad nausea).  So...

What do I have to do to get this thing installed so I can log in as
root?  Frankly, I couldn't do it in the other distributions either, but
they at least allowed me to offer the password and do most changes.

When the graphical log in comes up on boot, how do you get around it so
you can log in as root?  Or is there a way to log in as root when you
are already logged in as a routine user from a counsel or terminal?

Thanks again for all the assistance & forgive my total ignorance of the
basics that all you folks certainly take for granted...