Re: One last try...

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:30:38AM -0700, Z wrote:
> Once installed and at least functioning so I was in a familiar
> interface, I wanted to customize a few things, set up the network, etc.,
> but was required to log in as root.  I expected this, but with other
> distributions the option was usually offered to do that when I tried to
> perform the task.  Not in Debian.  Instead I get the message to log in
> as root and do it.  Great!  Log out... then... no option to log in as
> root.  Reboot, no option to log in as root.  Go to a terminal, & try,
> must do that from somewhere else.

You don't give us any idea what desktop environment you use, if any.
If you were using KDE, it should have asked you when it became
necissary.

Any rate, if you need to do something in X as root, open up an xterm
and type su -m and put in your root password when prompted.  Any
command you type there will run as root and connect to your X
display.

Don't log in as root, use su instead; this applies to *all* distros.

> Frankly, I logged out and installed Mandrake.  I like Red Hat and
> Mandrake but I'm really trying to get away from Microsoft.  Red Hat may
> be fine but it feels like a Microsoft wanna be to me, and Mandrake like
> Red Hat light.  I still want to be using Debian for all it's features
> and that it isn't a commercial product with a hidden cost around every
> corner (memberships, subscriptions, ad nausea).  So...

Yikes... still new, so the Mandrake mistake happens. 8:o)

Try Xandros.  It's a Debian-based distro that might be more your speed
(you can also apt-get upgrade over to Debian from Xandros if you
choose to, too).

> What do I have to do to get this thing installed so I can log in as
> root?

Don't.  Use su -m instead.

> When the graphical log in comes up on boot, how do you get around it so
> you can log in as root?

Don't.  Use su -m instead.

> Or is there a way to log in as root when you
> are already logged in as a routine user from a counsel or terminal?

Yes.  su -m

- --
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user