Re: One last try...

[...snip...]

> When the graphical log in comes up on boot, how do you get around it so
> you can log in as root?  Or is there a way to log in as root when you
> are already logged in as a routine user from a counsel or terminal?

Don't log in as root!

Install sudo instead: apt-get install sudo

And then go from a terminal, type su, enter your root password, and then
nano -w /etc/sudoers

Copy the line that starts root... substituting root for your username.

You can now type sudo command to execute a command as root.

Jon
> Thanks again for all the assistance & forgive my total ignorance of the
> basics that all you folks certainly take for granted...

Jon Wood

jon@jellybob.co.uk
www.godaintpants.co.uk/users/Jellybob