Re: One last try...

On 26 Apr 2003 11:30:38 -0700
Z <ziven@hotpop.com> wrote:

> When the graphical log in comes up on boot, how do you get around it so
> you can log in as root?  Or is there a way to log in as root when you
> are already logged in as a routine user from a counsel or terminal?

May I offer a suggestion?

Try it The Debian Way for a while.

I also came from the other distributions, and I too was accustomed to
running as root. I was forced to learn better habits when I switched to
Debian, and that was A Good Thing.

Log in as a normal user, then su to root to do root things. Exit the root
shell and get back to a normal user when you finish doing root things.

If you *must* have X to do the root stuff you want to do, go to a console
("<ctrl><alt><F2>"), login as root, and start another X server there:

bash:~# startx -- :1 vt8

and your second X server will run on tty8.

Kevin