Re: One last try...

    "ziven" == ziven  <Z> writes:

    ziven> What do I have to do to get this thing installed so I can
    ziven> log in as root?  Frankly, I couldn't do it in the other
    ziven> distributions either, but they at least allowed me to offer
    ziven> the password and do most changes.

    ziven> When the graphical log in comes up on boot, how do you get
    ziven> around it so you can log in as root?  Or is there a way to
    ziven> log in as root when you are already logged in as a routine
    ziven> user from a counsel or terminal?

    ziven> Thanks again for all the assistance & forgive my total
    ziven> ignorance of the basics that all you folks certainly take
    ziven> for granted...

Debian discourages root logging into an X session. It is a Good Thing
IMHO.

Hit Ctrl - Alt- F1 to get to a terminal and use it to login as
root. Alternatively, login as a regular user, then use 'su -' to get a
root shell. Then 'man sudo' and set it up.

Cheers!
Shyamal