Re[2]: Debian testing system won't boot

Jesse,

Thanks for the suggestion, I loaded Morphix and can access the drive.
I ran fsck on the drive and it reported a meager 11060 errors, but
when I attempted a fsck --fix-fixable /dev/hda1 it would just output
the fsck version and do nothing.

Now that I can access the drive from Morphix, does anyone have any
suggestions on how to clean it up? I need actual commands as I'm by no
means a Linux expert, just a relatively inexperienced user.

Here's a recap of the problem:

SA> I came in today and found my Debian test server (2.2.17-reiserfs) to
SA> be down, so I rebooted and now it won't fully boot.
SA>
SA> It stops booting after the lines:
SA>
SA> "
SA> PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
SA> PPP line discipline registered.
SA> "
SA>
SA> The thing is I don't need PPP; I don't even have a modem installed on
SA> the machine. Here are some other messages I found that might be
SA> important.
SA>
SA> "
SA> ReiserFS version 3.5.28
SA> VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
SA> Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
SA> INIT: version 2.84 booting
SA> Activating swap.
SA> Adding Swap: 144544k swap-space (priority -1)
SA> insmod: insmod: a module named af_packet already exists
SA> insmod: insmod: insmod net-pf-17 failed
SA> uname uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
SA> device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
SA> CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
SA> PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
SA> PPP line discipline registered.
SA> "
SA>
SA> then nothing.

which turned into:

SA> Ok. So I went through init.d and discovered the system reaches a
SA> prompt after I removed, rcS, which runs everything in /etc/rcS.d
SA>
SA> So I went into emergency mode and logged in as root, and manually ./
SA> each file in /etc/rcS.d to see if I could recreate the error, nothing
SA> produced an error. I "exit" from being root, and then it executes the
SA> rest of init.d and then takes me to a normal login prompt. I enter
SA> my username, hit enter, and then the message "XD: Loaded as module"
SA> pops up, I enter my pw and it displays the default "welcome" text, but
SA> then immediately kicks me back out to the login prompt.
SA>
SA> I reboot and it takes me to an emergency prompt like login, without me
SA> doing anything. I try to login and it boots me back out immediately to
SA> a login prompt. I reboot again and this time engage emergency mode,
SA> and it again prompts me to login and then kicks me out again.
SA>
SA> Thus, now I cannot even get to a prompt (to my knowledge).
SA>
SA> Network connectivity was not operational, ifconfig reported an error,
SA> which I cannot recall, and cannot reproduce since I can't reach the
SA> command line.

Now that I'm in morphix is getting fsck --fix-fixable /dev/hda1 my
only hope?

Thanks,
--Sean