Re: Reiserfs Review

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:32:11AM -0700, nate wrote:
> Al Davis said:
>
> > One point about ext3 that a lot of people seem to miss ....  The
> > big claim is that you can treat it as ext2 if you need to,
> > because all of the ext2 tools work.  This is not so if it is
> > not shut down properly.  I found this out the hard way.

I thought coping with not being shut down properly was part of the
point?

I have a headless box on which I use ext3 so that if I bugger it up
and can't ssh into it anymore I can hit the reset button to get it
going again. I've done this a few times; seems to come up without any
problems.

It is very slow though, as it has a slow-seeking HD and ext3 makes it
seek all over the place, presumably to do the journalling.

> in addition, reiserfs(at least v3, probably v4 and I hear other
> journalling filesystems are similar) does not support bad blocks,
> ext2 you can run a bad block scan and mark blocks as bad, reiserfs
> will puke hard if it sees a bad block(usually resulting in kernel
> panics).

Am I correct in thinking that ext3 supports ext2's bad block marking?

Pigeon