Re: Reiserfs Review

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:15:09PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> I thought coping with not being shut down properly was part of the
> point?
>
> I have a headless box on which I use ext3 so that if I bugger it up
> and can't ssh into it anymore I can hit the reset button to get it
> going again. I've done this a few times; seems to come up without any
> problems.

Yes, ext3 (and any other journalling filesystem) will usually come up
nicely even when the drives weren't unmounted cleanly. However, if the
ext3 partition was not unmounted cleanly you can not simply treat it as
an ext2 partition because the journal (which doesn't exist on ext2)
needs to be replayed. If it was unmounted cleanly, you usually can treat
it as ext2 (like mounting it from a rescue disk/CD that doesn't have
ext3 support).

--
Michael Heironimus