Re: xcdroast coasters

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:26:22PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Tom Allison wrote:
> > I've heard a lot of good things about xcdroast.
> > But I have never EVER made anything but coasters with this one.  However,
> > it did work in Windows and it can burn very small ISO's (gentoo
> > installation CD).

...but from your January post, it didn't work very well in Windoze?

My CORDS experience is similar - after the drive has been writing for
so long it doesn't want to know anymore, so it's much easier to burn
small images than large ones.

I guess it's not impossible that the lubricant on the track has dried
up and the head is no longer moving smoothly, so a tiny drop of
silicone oil might sort it out. This is sometimes the problem with
audio CD players that crap out after playing a few tracks. I haven't
tried it as a cure for CORDS though.

(Re servicing CD drives: Why are all CD drives manufactured upside
down?)

> is your drive a SCSI drive or IDE using ide-scsi? I've only used
> SCSI drives, perhaps ide is different. Also XCDRoast is only a frontend
> to cdrecord, which most linux apps use for burning cds, if you get coasters
> in XCDroast chances are good you'll get them in other apps too. what
> kind of CD-R media are you using?

CORDS is a drive problem, and strikes SCSI as well as IDE...

> from your original email it looked to
> me like the burn went successfully with 0 errors.

? It terminated with an error after 110something megs and the fifo
puts != the fifo gets.

Pigeon