Re: Reiserfs Review

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 10:11 am, p wrote:
> 1)  it's not as good as ext2/3 with big
>     files; and

My experience shows the opposite ...  Reiser is much faster.  I
got about a 4:1 difference in favor of Reiser with cd images on
a 20 gig partition.

> is it "risk-free"?  --  given the above
> limitations, probably not.

Is anything "risk-free"?

> would i use it for a production box?
> --  yes, because i'd be conscientious
> with the backups.

I don't think it requires any more caution than you would use
for another filesystem.

One point about ext3 that a lot of people seem to miss ....  The
big claim is that you can treat it as ext2 if you need to,
because all of the ext2 tools work.  This is not so if it is
not shut down properly.  I found this out the hard way.