deb(x)conf [was: Re: why doesn't XF86Config-4 include defoma-managed TrueType fonts?]

Rob Weir wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:45:15AM -0500, Andy Hurt wrote:

But, I'm concerned about the lines:

# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make # changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after
# the "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.

I manage XF86Config-4 with debconf.

I know the file almost by heart, but seem to remember Branden warning about making changes between those lines . . . .

Yes, it will nuke your changes next time debconf has a go at it.  I
think it's safe to add another section outside the lines (which is
probably what you meant in the first place /me slaps self), but it's
been a long time since I let debconf play with my XF86Config-4.

So, I'm thinking tht deb(x)conf is kinda like a shoulder to lean-on. A guide that one may forgo after a while?

I could easily skip the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86--heck, I have 3 copies of XF86Config-4 laying-around that I use mostly as reminders,

Maybe this is what debconf is about--a shoulder to lean-on until one learns the route from home > store > home.
--
andyrew