Re: Get in Trouble Now

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:44:40AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:52:12PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > "Mark L. Kahnt" <kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org> writes:
> > > I've heard a couple times that the reason that gdm2 is not in Sid is
> > > that it doesn't as yet build on all platforms. Remember, to be available
> > > in the pools, a package generally needs to be available for all
> > > platforms Debian supports - that is why some packages are available in
> > > unofficial ports - not all platforms are available there.

This is rarely a reason for a package not to be in unstable. I think the
actual reason is that the *maintainer* is trying to get other GNOME
build problems fixed before worrying about gdm2, which is a slightly
different matter.

> These sources are:
>
> Architecture: any
>
> > Not true.  There are some packages that are architecture-specific, like
> > plex86 or yaboot for example.
>
> These are
>
> Architecture: i386
> Architecture: powerpc
>
> So, Brian, this is not good example against above, though.
>
> I do not know about real story but ...
>
> 1. "unstable" is candidate for "testing"
> 2. to become "testing", it has to compile for all "Architecture"s.

That's not true, no. Testing doesn't look at the Architecture: field.
All a package has to do is compile on all the architectures on which the
version in testing compiled, and be in sync across all of them.

Cheers,